This week was, technically it still is, Social Media Week. I did not hear about this event until about three weeks ago when I was perusing through some Meetup tech groups.
There were many scheduled social media events throughout the world. I went through the entire list of events here in NY and picked the ones I wanted to attend. The nice thing about the schedule is that if you couldn’t attend some of the events, they arrange Livestream webcasts for people to view online.
It was a great opportunity for me to push myself out of my comfort zone. As a result, I heard great talks, met new people, and learned about new companies I have not heard of before.
Some key take-aways:
- Be confident and know how to distinguish yourself – #smwhiring, #smw140resume
- Build a relationship first before asking for something – #smw140resume
- Don’t just ASK ASK ASK, know how to GIVE GIVE GIVE – #smw140resume
- Be consistent – #smw140resume, #fashiontech
- Use social media to tell stories, to talk about your heritage – #fashiontech
- Taking risks is a good thing – from Warby Parker Co-Founder, Neil Blumenthal #smwHQ